Thursday, January 26, 2012


Obama the Ventriloguist
I watched an interview hours before President Obama'a State of the Union speech. It was unlike anything I have ever watched before an Obama debate, newsbreak, and state of anything speeches. I can't recall if the interview was on CNN, MSNBC, FOX, or PBS, but a woman was interviewing former presidential speechwriter Peter Robinson. He wrote speeches for George H. Bush and Ronald Reagan. What Robison had to say about the difference between an inspiring speech and a boring, uninspiring speech seemed so simple and so true. Some president focus too much on "lines" he explained. Other presidents such as Reagan were more interested in their "voice." It's true. You can often recognize the voice so to speech of an excellent and article writer through his or her "voice." Ronald Reagan rarely revised his speeches, or made minor changes so that the words, the lines, reflected his true self and what he wanted to convey.


So is it a coincidence that Obama relies on his teleprompter and puts on so many faces, claiming Jews, Irish and just about every heritage and religion except his own? That inability to recognize Obama's "voice" in his speeches probably explains why I haven't been able to listen to anything he says in his speeches. He hasn't engaged me in the least. Then again, the problem could be with me--I hate politics, and for the longest time (before I started writing professionally) had an unusual form of social phobia.


I had absolutely no problem talking to people in person. It was an entirely different affair talking on the phone and not recognizing the person, not knowing who I was talking to. Don't ask me why, but that made me uncomfortable. Fortunately, being forced to interview people in relatively high places helped tremendously and I am perfectly fine talking to anyone and everyone. I've lost my writing voice quite a bit in the past decade.


I need to dumb things down for the readers, and the reporting by its nature has to be black and white. Blogging...ah, not professional at all. I'm like a driver on a long patch of road speeding because there's not a stop sign or red light for miles. But my true writing voice can still be recognized, at least by me, in my early work when I wrote editorials about my experiences in nursing school. I combined vivid descriptions of situations, combined with truly honest emotions I felt. That was my true writing voice. I've lost that voice recognition:( Still, it shows up in some of my videos, particularly my religious based ones. I seem to have a connection between music, color, impressionism and overall tone. Yep. That's why I haven't been able to relate to Obama on an emotional level (other than disgust for his caving in to Hamas and his heartless indifference to the atrocities happening to the young protesters in Iran).

 A president who claims to care about Americans that he wants to force substandard health care on us, gives in to the demands of a terrorist regime, and remains quite when young Iraqis are being massacred...Obama's voice is contradictory. He's quite the ventriloquist. But at least people can recognize at least that enough to distrust him and not vote for him.

 
posted by
| Permalink |


0 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home