Tuesday, July 31, 2012


It Never Stops
I just realized that my last post was a couple of weeks ago. Things have been more than a little stressful on my side of the computer screen. I've already written about most of it--the computer issues, my cat, vcry stressful and now controversial article. I don't know what to make of it all. The day cops the week after the article was published stared when I walked into the station--not staring me down as they did in 1998 when they banned me and subsequently let me back in and gave me access to the reports. This seemed like more of a nervous stare. Last week I went at night but not at the change of shift. There weren't too many cops, mostly supervisors. Things went okay.

Monday I went at my usual time. Only one cop I know came into the communications room. All he said was, "It never stops." He said this in a slightly hushed voice, though I don't believe he was angry at all, but I couldn't tell if he meant the media and public criticism of the department, ever increasing calls for service, or that the police brass blamed them for the lack of security and police presence at the park. 

I might be reading the situation wrong, but looking back, I think they could be under a gag order--formal or informal--since the article concluded with a simple suggestion from a veteran officer: citizens should simply call the police commissioner and tell him to call the mayor to use available money to hire more cops, buy updated cars. Simple as that. We need consistency, not time limited task forces to get us through the summer.

I'm caught in the middle. My editor is tight with the councilman, who is tight with the mayor. Oh yeah, and this is the most corrupt city in the country. Seriously.

So when a woman called up complaining that seven of her tenants were moving because of a home invasion nearby I had to give her the party line, "It's an unfortunate reality..." My voice trails off as her's becomes loud, this wasn't an unfortunate reality but matter of life and death. I asked my boss what I should have said, and explained that empathized with the woman. What was I to tell her? Lie? Minimize the situation?

My boss was silent. I think I made my point or at least gave him some things to think about.

I'm trying to avoid becoming a media apparatchik (thank you RT for introducing me to the phrase and concept so I can avoid it the best I can.) Hey, what better way to learn how to avoid becoming one by learning about it from a media outlet funded by the Kremlin?

Oh, speaking of RT, my favorite show, The Alyona Show has been taken of the air. I am disappointed. She was so intelligent, funny, out of the box and did bring all of the real headlines with none of the mercy. Why would she give up her position at RT, whose viewership is gaining  while others are on the decline?

 
posted by
| Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • on 8/2/12, 5:59 PM, Blogger Daniel Greenfield
    said:

    "You're doing your job, so are they caught and everyone is caught in these uncomfortable realities.

    Alyona has moved on to the Huffington Post. RT won't have much of a future if the Putin regime collapses."

     

Post a Comment

~ back home